Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Drama of Doctrine

I have a big problem. I try to read too many books at one time. My wife Kristen thinks I have an incurable disease :)

I also don't usually read through an entire book (I usually get through 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through). The major exception to this is when I read a book with someone else.

To my heart's delight, my friend/pastor (Brad Wright) and I will be reading through Kevin Vanhoozer's The Drama of Doctrine: A Canonical-Linguistic Approach to Christian Theology.

The main argument of this book is that doctrines are not merely theoretical concepts that we are called to intellectually submit to. Instead, doctrines are the canonical-lingustic teachings about God's Trinitarian drama within redemptive history that serve to shape and guide the Christian's ecclesiastical/cultural performace.




No comments: