Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jaroslav Pelikan?




Jaroslav Pelikan. I hadn't really heard of him until a few days ago. Pelikan has been considered the greatest church historian of our century. He learned to read and type when he was two years old. He graduated from seminary and completed his PhD from the University of Chicago before he was 22! He taught over 40 years at Yale. He was raised Lutheran and converted to Eastern Orthodoxy in his very late years before he passed away.

I have recently ordered his magnum opus: a 5 volume set chronicling the doctrine of the Christian church from A.D. 100 to the present. It should be fascinating. I'll try to post my thoughts frequently.

If the Resurrection is true, nothing else matters. If the Resurrection is not true, nothing else matters.

- Jaroslav Pelikan

1 comment:

EricW said...

You'll enjoy Pelikan. I just finished the series today, reading it straight through from volume 1 through volume 5, after having only cherry-picked from it before.